I ran into this girl during one of the breaks in the MAS program at the ISBCC. I started out asking her the usual...where she's from, what she does, etc. She told me she was from Virginia, and she worked in Boston.
"Oh, so you must miss your family," I told her knowingly."
"No, I see them almost every week."
"Really, so you don't have to spend much time up here for work."
"No, I'm here during the week."
"Okay..." She must have seen the confused look on my face.
"I commute ten hours from Virginia to Boston every week."
"Ten hours! That must be so hard!"
"Hamdellah."
"I mean, I can barely tolerate commuting an hour for my work!"
"Hamdellah, it's okay."
"But don't you get bored?"
"Hamdellah."
"Sleepy?"
"Hamdellah."
"Lonely?"
"Hamdellah."
What was wrong with this girl? I'm here lathering on my empathetic consolations, and she won't even concede any genuine grumbles or join me in commiserating. What gives?
"Okay, do you want me to tell you?" she said.
I said yes. And she began to tell me how one day last summer she was crossing the street, and she was hit by a van. She told me that she was hospitalized, with a coma. And when she woke up she was unable to move any part of her body. She said her jaw was so swollen, she couldn't even move her tongue. And because the doctors wanted the swelling in her eye to go down, they taped one of them open. Imagine trying to sleep with your eye taped open. She told me how no one thought she would walk again, and how she couldn't feel the tips of her fingers or toes. And now she was sitting in front of me, talking and moving around as if nothing ever happened.
"So I have no reason to complain, alhamdulilah," she said, "Every time I blink I remember how much Allah has blessed me."
I was so inspired by what this girl had said. I realized how easily complaints would leak from my mouth. I still haven't fully realized all the lessons my own trial was meant to teach. I feel that Allah (SWT) put this girl in my path as a gentle reminder- not only of how much I have to be grateful for, but also of how little I have to complain about. Alhamdulilah.
6 years ago
I believe that Allah (swt) has put you in the life of every person that reads your blog as a reminder every day that there are so many things we take for granted and of how He blesses us in so many ways.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you don't know me, my name is Sumaya Elsiah. I am a friend of your siter Asmaa. I lived next door to her in Alain.
It's a bit of a strange story but I would like to tell you about it... I first met Asmaa through my mother that had saw her at a ladies gathering. As soon as they set eyes on each other they started to scream! turns out that we also know the same people here in the US. I'm good friends of Ruba and Rehab, i live about five minutes away from their house.
Asmaa and I spent some time together this last time I went to visit my siblings this last november. We tried very hard to go for walks daily and encouraged eachother to get in shape (which i failed terriebly at!) one night while we were engaged in our excersise she started talking about you. All I could think was WOW mashaa Allah now that is the kind of person I would love to be. That is the kind of person I would like to meet one day. She is the perfect example of a muslima in this day and age.
I appreciate the time you take to write this blog. You can't imagine how hard it was to get in touch with you. I tried so many times to get throught to Asmaa, but knowing her and how busy she always is it wasn't possible. I was invited over my good friend Ruba's house and Rehab showed me this blog. I left the whole dinner and was glued to the screen. I got screamed at from tant su'aad but that didn't matter.
I hope your not scared,lol. But from all my heart may Allah keep you safe and give you all what you wish for in this life and the next. I've never meet you and Allah only knows if I ever will. I appreciate people who are so awsome at heart like you. Your a great example for young women everywhere. May Allah bless you with all the will power you need and give you health, wealth and happiness ya Rab ameen.
I am so touched by your comment Sumaya, jazak Allahu khairan. It's such a blessing that Allah (SWT) has used this trial to introduce me to great Muslimahs I may have never met otherwise.
ReplyDeleteKnow that I am nothing special. I am just struggling to make the best of this life, just like you. I am so lucky to have you, and all my other sisters as a reminder of Allah's mercy. I sincerely hope I get to meet you, if not in this world, then in the highest level of paradise.
May Allah gives us all the highest ranks in jennah. And make us succeed in this life's test. I would love to meet you in person. My number is 603-706-8187, I would love to speak to you when ever you get a chance. Allah yebarik feeky wa ye3afeky.
ReplyDeletewow. gives the complaining post a new meaning! jak for sharing this story
ReplyDelete